Sunday 11 January 2009

Christmas Cake


This is my christmas cake i am upset that i didnt get a photo of it in its full glory! though i think the half eaten look at least proves it was edible?! I was also upset that the edible sparkles didnt arrive in time as that was supposed to make the royal icing glitter like snow :-) The cake recipie came from the somerfield magazine and have made it two years in a row as it seems popular. Its not as dark and dense as a lot of traditional xmas cakes it has more nuts in it and the cake bit of it is lighter too. My dad just read over my sholder and said i could say it was very nice. The icing went rock hard after a couple of weeks though but i guess thats because it was royal icing and apparently if you put gelatine in it doesnt go rock hard. The only part i didnt make myself was the marzipan i just ran out of time but might try it this year. I loved making it, feeding it with brandy and icing it and will definately do it again. I have seen a recipie in nigella for chocolate christmans cake that is tempting me








3 comments:

Amy J said...

It looks brilliant! The icing really looks like snow too! I think I would like yours as I don't like traditional Christmas cake. How often/much did you have to do the brandy? Does Nigella's chocolate version have stuff in it too? Yum! And as you work full time, I think you can be forgiven for using prepared marzipan :-) xx

Jane King said...

Thanks! I really was qute proud of it sad really! I put the brandy in whenever i remembered but you are supposed to do it once a week for about a month i think. I didnt do it as much as my nephews were going to eat it so toned it down. Nigellas has fruit and nuts and choc in i think. Last year i didnt ice my cake but covered it in chocolate that was nice as it was a but like a fruit and nut bar :-P Roll on next christmas !!

Amy J said...

The extra brandy could have potentially helped with your nephews' illnesses! Or at least helped them sleep! I think the white would look better than the chocolate (though I'm sure it tasted divine) as it looks more like snow and less like a mud scene. Can't wait to see what you come up with this year!